December 24, 2005

Thoughts of Unknown Quality

It’s siesta in the house but only the parents are taking the naps seriously. My brothers are on the computer trying to beat each other’s high scores on Zuma. I’m so glad I brought my laptop home so I don’t have to share. Wicked. It’s amazing, we haven’t watched a single film or rented anything from Video City this time around. I was reading “Spiritual Leadership” some minutes ago but it got too tedious for this afternoon’s lethargic atmosphere. So I flipped open my laptop and just sat here thinking. I’m not being very productive, I know.

Tonight’s Christmas Eve. Usually, the house is filled with crazy laughter and a lot of people but there are no visiting relatives this time, so we’re all much behaved.

We’re off to hear Mass, I think you call it Misa de Galleo (Oh, I don’t even know how to spell the thing!), at 10 tonight. My parents figured it waking us college kids at 6AM tomorrow is impossible so they decided we better set off tonight. They're definitely taking into account our nocturnal habits.

I was just thinking… I’m part of a generation that, sometimes, is bored with the usual Christian fare. I have to say there are times when it’s rousing especially when a point hits home. But most of the time, we’re there looking for something out of this world. And most of the time we don’t find it in four worship songs and a sermon. I don’t know, I just feel that there’s got to be more than looking to our Masses and services to experience something supernatural. Something supernatural that knocks us off our pedestals of human wisdom and onto the floor of humility.

We call Him Emmanuel, the God who is with us. David said he couldn’t flee from His presence. He said he is everywhere, He said He was near. And this gets me thinking, why limit Him to our Sundays. And so I wonder at what it would be like to experience God in the shower, in the classroom, in line at the grocery store, in McDonalds, in front of the laptop. I believe He makes Himself available anytime, anywhere. We just have to turn around and realize He’s there.

If I’m not making good sense, I probably should go and take that nap. My apologies.

Have a great Christmas everyone! I expect you to, what with the great news that Christ came to us to eventually save us. It makes me think of Alanis Morisette’s “What if God was one of us, just a stranger on the bus…” Ain’t it a great thing that He indeed became one of us?

No comments: