August 27, 2005

To the Pointe#4

Me and Rei actually spent four hours at Turning Point last night. It was a long and tiring but very thrilling class. We got there around 5:30 and did barre exercises while waiting for the Level B Class. Teacher Mylene taught us some new stretches, some of which seem entirely impossible but, well, that's the same thing I was thinking when I was working on my splits.


Speaking of splits, I was able to do a full side split on my left last night!!! Nyahahaha... :) :) :)

And, I was able to execute a better grand jete, which (when done properly) is the movement seen in the picture above. Of course, in my case, my legs weren't at the 180 degree angle but somewhere around 130. And I need to work on keeping my upper body upright instead of flinging it back. In any case, I will allow myself to celebrate small victories. :)
Another new thing is that my legs have gotten fairly used to the work. This time, it's my arms and butt that are aching. Teacher Mylene spent an entire barre exercise sitting at my feet and teaching me how to lift and sustain my demi-pointe (on toes) fifth position by lifting my butt, lengthening my arms and head and basically contracting every leg muscle in me. Only now do I realize how heavy my head is. It's one of the things that can make or break you when you're standing on one leg, on your toes like this:

I'll be missing class today to review for upcoming exams. I feel so deprived already.

No comments: