August 26, 2005

To the Pointe #3 (formerly Diaries of a Balletomaniac)

Finally, a much more decent title for all posts on dance (particularly ballet), me and God.

---0---

I’m actually dreading ballet class today. I’ve got so much work to do that I know will never get done when I get back from my three hour [labor intensive] classes later. As of today I have four exams lined up for next week, all of them memory-intensive. One requires careful listening skills. One requires practice in programming language and unfortunately, Turbo Basic simply does not want to run on my laptop. The other two are simply mass murderers of brain cells.

So I’ve decided to go today, knock myself out and make up for the backlog tomorrow. Tomorrow, I’ll skip class. Next week, I’ll be skipping my Friday class to cram for my Saturday exam. Well, I guess I should make up for all my absences by doing my stretches and releves everyday.


---0---

The Music Team at church have come up with a temp line-up for the Christmas Cantata. We, the Dance Ministrry people, have to decide whether to dance to one of the songs in the line-up or to go with something else. Here's the line-up so far:

God of Wonders
Dare you to Move - Switchfoot
Speechless- Steven Curtis Chapman

I've been listening to all three lately, trying to get a feel for one of them so I can try choreographing it. I've been taken by God of Wonders. I asked Janna to try her hand at Dare You to Move.

I am a little panicked by the fact that so far, in my five days of listening to the song, I have no steps whatsoever. Which is funny (in a bad way) because before, I just immersed myself in a piece of music and I could imagine steps to it after some time. Or I'd just stand still in the middle of our room, play the music and move in whatever way the music made me. Perhaps the downtime in my spiritual life is a major factor of this. Sigh.

And then perhaps this might be what Ate Hazel calls the second phase of dance education under God. The first part is when you learn that God is your audience. He is the one you are dancing for and He's all you see in the theater. The second part is learning that God dances with you. He is doing the same steps, giving you those steps and helping you do them.

Yeah, I'm still pretty much fixated on the God is my audience part.

My pride. Tsk tsk tsk.

No comments: