August 05, 2005

"Hourglass" ideas in the early hours

[note time of post]

Life is like an hourglass stuck on the table, the moments trickling steadily. We measure the flow in the manner we choose ourselves--- in office hours, in semesters and classes, in wrinkles, in candles. There will be no inversion, no falling back of moments that are the grains of your life. There is no filter to sift times you can let go off and times you want to “re-process”. One can only so much as grasp the opportunities and joy and love that come by and live them while they're there.

I think it’s hard to stay at that slender portion of this hourglass. At times, I dwell on the lower cone, wallowing in self-pity, regret and anger. Some times, I move upwards and find myself too utterly fixed on what may come that I shrug off today’s concerns like the dandruff on my shoulder. Lower or upper, it’s unsafe territory. I find I have to strike the balance between being expectant and hopeful and appreciating what has come to pass. Else, my present clogs up with more moments to regret when I find myself in the lower cone and less moments to look forward to in the upper.

Whimsical, I am. Perhaps a temporary condition induced by strong green tea, rain and a large zit.


Forgive the shallowness.

No comments: