August 19, 2005

Diaries of a Balletomaniac #1

I’m beat. Just got back from my first ballet class in a year and I don’t think I’ll be able to go through thew two chapters of 131 I wanted to finish tonight. I just wanna sit and sip tea and type away happy thoughts.

A new teacher is handling the classes although, as far as I know Teacher Mylene still owns the school. While Teacher Rara instructs the girls, Teacher Mylene watches from the side and gives silent, hand gestures reminders to girls who forget that their palms should be facing upwards or whose feet are in the wrong position.

Julyett, Karen and Mirabai were the ones I recognized when me and Rei walked into the studio. I was introduced to Marion, who calls herself a beginner despite having a year of training on her as well as pointe shoes.

We did stretches while waiting for the Level B’s to finish. My not-so-religious stretching has paid off somewhat as I can now use the upper barre for leg stretches unlike before where the even the lower barre was a challenge. Forgive the boasting. Me and Rei were going green watching the other girls go through advanced stretches. Someday Kristina, someday.

When we started doing barre exercises, me and Rei had trouble keeping up. Same thing with the center work. But all in all, it was fun and I still giggle at what I imagine I was doing during the chase-arabesque center exercise. Imagine a chicken when it’s flustered. I looked like that. Minus the squawking of course. :)

Now, I need a dallop of that good ol’ Katinko cream of Nellie’s to comfort my poor overworked leg muscles.

Boy, is it good to be back.

No comments: