January 24, 2006

Soaked in Preservative Fluids

...namely two coffees, two mugs of lemon tea, one Coca-Cola and one Sprite. It's amazing my stomach is holding out under the siege.

I feel like someone called me up and told me someone I loved died. My mouth hangs slack and I can't string together words into decent sentences. Sunday night's talk amounts to a funeral anyway, a funeral of almost five years of friendship. I want desperately to care, to shout, to cry, to pray but if I allow myself to open those gates one inch, I'll feel like I'm in the coffin along with the dead and I'm not ready for it.

I should wallow. But like Rory, I choose to make To Do lists and schedules. This is how I mourn.

Thank you for those who have been holding my hand.

1 comment:

imissw said...

"The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.

He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters,

he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

Psalms 23:1-4