January 26, 2006

Mad Season

Mom texted me early this morning with bad news: The maize crop has been ruined due to the rains (we own some land and manage the land of our relatives who are abroad). It also affects my parents' fertilizer business because if the harvest is poor or if people have to plant a second crop, chances are, farmers won't be able to settle the debt on the fertilizers my parents distribute to them. A good portion of our finances has been invested in that business.

It's sad news not just for my family but for a lot of families back home. Our town is a very agricultural one, populated by folk who depend on the harvests of rice and corn for their lives. And farming is backbreaking work.

My parents are worried and all. I'm sad and worried too. But I'm glad for one thing. My Mom's early morning panic text string ended with a message that said, "Nina, let's just pray and trust God on this."

My Mom hasn't said that in ages.

No comments: