September 19, 2005

Me and my Viewing Choices

I feel somewhat irritated at having to bear criticisms of a TV show I was enjoying earlier.

Yes, I happen to enjoy watching Sex and the City, the whole wacky, confident and funny bunch of friends led by Carrie Bradshaw. I do have to fast-forward on certain scenes and there are conversations where the topics aren’t those you can say in polite society. But, other than that, there’s the great friendship, the funny stories, Carrie’s and Big’s love story, the growing up pains of each woman and the really awesome fashion. There’s Samantha’s breast cancer, Charlotte’s infertility, and Miranda's career and marriage. I somehow identify with Miranda's cynicism and Charlotte’s hopeless “romanticism”. I enjoy watching it just like I enjoy watching Friends or Desperate Housewives or Ally Mcbeal.

I don’t think that it’s something they wrapped a shallow story in just to get the scenes out. The title, I know, gives such an impression. But, as Carrie describes her column in the series that bears the same title, it is not about sex; it’s about the death of romance and searches for love. Besides the hilarious friendship between the four gals.

Of course, we Christians with notions of waiting for our GW’s wouldn’t agree with the whole dating/romance/friendship scheme going on. However, what can you expect from it anyway?

Dare I say… Sex, love, romance in ways we wouldn’t have them are always almost in programs on TV.

It’s the way the world is, it’s the way most women think, it’s the way we (I?) wish my friendships were.

Friends had them. Desperate Housewives have them. Ally Mcbeal had them. Bridget Jones, Jerry Maguire, Divine Secrets…

Let’s just say, I don’t expect it to be minus all that. I just deal with it.

It may just be the irritation speaking. That and probably a lot of rationalization.

No comments: