August 21, 2006

Amusing Phone Call

Lady: Good afternoon! *Ballet Company's Name*. How may we help you?
Me: Hello. I was told that you rent out tutus. I'm interested in renting one for a pictorial.
Lady: Who is this? (in very haughty tone)
Me: This is Kristina. I'm a student at UP.
Lady: And who referred you to us? (in an impossibly haughtier tone)
Me: Miss Mylene Saldana (a former soloist of the company) told me about your costume services. She is my ballet mistress.
Lady: I see... Erm, please hold Ma'am...(said in a suddenly respectful tone)
Me: Sure.

*I stare at rain wondering if people are going to pick the phone up on the other end sometime within the next month *

Guy: Hello?
Me: Hello
Guy: Ma'am, you'd like to rent a tutu, right? (still in a very intimidating tone)
Me: Yes, I would very much like to. Can I do that? Are you renting out tutus?
Guy: Yes, but...Um, who recommended you?
Me: Miss Mylene Saldana, my ballet teacher.
Guy: And you'd like to rent ONE tutu ONLY?
Me: Yes. Is there a problem with that?
Guy: What is the purpose of the rental?
Me: A pictorial (Tempted to answer in complete sentence with sir sprinkled liberally)
Guy: Okay. The rental fee is 500... (trails off in a tone that suggests that I am out of my league)
Me: 500? Is that for a rehearsal tutu? Or is that for any kind?
Guy: Ma'am, that is the fee for any tutu you may want to rent.
Me: Why, really? 500 lang? Wow. (Tempted to counter their intimidation with a remark of how I was prepared to pay 2000 for the rental)
Guy: And you have to have it dry cleaned...
Me: Sure. No problem.
Guy: And you have to return it within a week...
Me: *Grins* Sure thing.
Guy: Okay... (in tone that suggests he's uncertain what to do next because I haven't been cowered by the intimidation at all)
Me: Okay. Is Monday good for your office? Can I drop by sometime in the afternoon to pick out a tutu?
Guy: Yes, Monday is fine (still continues to sound bewildered).
Me: Great then. Who do I look for when I come by?
Guy: Errr.... Just ask for J or H.
Me: Okay then. Thank you for your time. Have a good afternoon.
Guy: Um, good afternoon to you too... Ma'am.

*I hang up the phone giggling*

No comments: