June 15, 2005

Sheer Magnificence

They made a Rent movie! Click here for trailer. When you can't catch it on Broadway, catch it on the screen. I wonder if it's as good as the Broadway musical but then I would have no point of comparison anyway.

*****
I obviously still haven't found the font color I can settle down with.

*****
I'm a little frustrated with my quiet times. When I read my Bible, there's always a sentence someplace that strikes me and makes me pause a moment and for this event I am thankful. But when I try to "unpack" the stuff, I don't get anywhere. I don't understand why the passage strikes me or why it's suddenly become fascinating for me. I feel like the Spirit's trying to teach me something there, like He's pointing at the blackboard and I'm just staring at the blackboard wondering what's written there, squinting to try makes out the words.

I feel like the Spirit is using the Socratic method and I just can't answer any of His guide questions. Plato believed that each person has stock knowledge that they just forget during the chaos of being born and in the Socratic method, the teacher simply leads the student to remember what he already knows (or something to that effect. Check his Socratic Dialogues for the whole story).

Here, my analogy runs dry. While I believe I am wired to seek God, I don't think I have this knowledge of Him. I can't answer the questions because I simply don't have the answers. I like to have answers (even in little installations) quickly. And so it is frustrating when I know I won't be able to answer it, and I'll just have to do more staring at the blackboard i.e. meditating on His Word and bringing it to the light of Christ. These spiritual disciplines truly go against the grain of my flesh. Here, I find and trust that His grace abounds and is sufficient.

*****
You know, I read the stuff I write and am amazed. You can call it narcissism. I call it God's gift.

No comments: