May 08, 2005

The Suicide Diaries: Part Une



Written May 4, 2005

I was paralyzed on my bed this afternoon, willing the sun to just go done so that the mercury could drop by some degree. I just let my thoughts free flow. Suddenly I was thinking about suicide: Do suicides really end up in hell? Was suicide really an “unforgivable sin”? The prevailing idea is that those who take their own lives hoping to end their misery end up instead eternally damned. Say then, if I, a born-again Christian, should take my life by say overdosing, would my last act invalidate my assurance of eternal life in heaven?

I had been raised on the idea that answered yes to all the questions above. I never really questioned the whole thing before. But now, it seems like a study of contradictions.

Issue one: Is there such thing as an unforgivable sin? If suicide is an unforgivable sin, then that would mean that Jesus’ death on the cross doesn’t cover all sins.

Issue two: In the case of a Christian, does he go to hell for suicide? Doesn’t this go against the assurance of salvation?

Hmmm…The two are so entwined.


What does the Bible say on suicide? Hah! This makes for a good Bible study. Feel nice sense of adventure rippling through me. Lord, as I seek Your Truth, help me understand and discern, grant me wisdom and an open, teachable heart. You know all my thoughts.


----------------------------------------------------------------------
This is what I've been busy with last week. Everything is in my writer's notebook and I will get around to typing the rest someday. Bear with my procastination. Think of it as Star Wars only influence on me: long gaps between the sequels.