September 25, 2008

Watch the mouth

Gave it this some thought last night after C said that I absolutely cannot use those words in front of the kids if ever... See, I can still sort of live with slipping every now and then with C. He's got the cleanest mouth ever but tolerates me and is mature enough to know not to imitate me. But kids? Scary accountability right there.


I learned to swear long before I became a Christian. Back then, it was somewhat cool. Now, it's simply appalling. I try naman. But when I suddenly find out that somthing happened with a project that I totally prepared for in order to avoid, first thought is "Oh S***!". When I come home late at night and the bathroom floor is flooded by roommates who don't seem to understand the concept of a shower curtain, I fire away another "Oh S**!". When I'm really , really annoyed at someone... Okay, I'll spare you that.

When you really think about it, it should be practically impossible to be unable to find a better word to describe the emotion you're trying to express. Why use a "S***!" rather than "Dude, this is the most frustrating thing ever today!". Okay, sometimes I disguise this with "Crap" which maybe sounds a little less jarring but still not kid-friendly. Maybe better to "put it nicely" as that pic says than shout bad words to a person's back (I'm not too good with confrontations).

Is it a lack of eloquence or habit?

I say habit. And perhaps that's why it's hard to watch the mouth. Habits are hard to kick. In this case, swallow. Hopefully, it gets easier in time.

No comments: