October 06, 2006

Mes Amie La Belle

You mentioned wanting to chat with Mr. Lewis. That piqued my interest so I went and had a grande with him in Starbucks. Here's what hit home for me:

"Now, Faith... is the art of holding on to things your reason has once accepted, in spite of your changing moods. For moods will change, whatever view your reason takes. I know that by experience. Now that I am a Christian I do have moods in which the whole thing looks very improbabble: but when I was antheist I had moods in which Christianity looked terribly probable. This rebellion of your moods against your real self is going to come anyway. That is why Faith is such a necessary virtue: unless you teach your moods "where they get off," you can never be either a sound Christian or even a sound atheist, but just a creature dithering to and fro, with its beliefs really dependent on the weather and the state of its digestion. Consequently one must train the habit of Faith."

- C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity


P.S.
I'm now broke. Starbucks and Mr. Lewis were worth it though.

No comments: