July 18, 2005

Perfect Endorsement & Endorser for Soap

It is established theory(?) that when a person is faced with the possible loss of her possessions, whatever she takes when she flees are those things she thinks most valuable.

Until last night, my practice in this sort of thing was limited to online quizzes or to group discussions where the question “If you could bring just five items in an emergency, what would you grab on your way out?” Other than that, nada. But I do have this bizarre habit of “surveying” a place and planning escape routes in case of emergencies.

Moving on, around midnight last night (1), a loud, rather dull pop was heard. We all thought it was some piece of furniture that fell over. No one stirred in our room. Nellie continued studying and the three of us lay prostate on our beds (2).

It began getting noisy in the hallways. Ladies were running around and chattering. Then we heard screams. By then, me and Gillian sat up and wondered what all the commotion was about. The three of us gazed out the window to see residents of the houses at behind the dorm scurrying around, shouting and carrying their belongings. We joined the rest of the ladies out in the corridor to investigate. We were told that a fire had broken out in the residential area right next to us and there had been a gas explosion. We were told to switch off all electrical appliances, get out valuables and evacuate our rooms.

So we woke up Apple (who thought we were playing some joke on her) and grabbed bags for our “valuables”. We gathered in the lobby as fire trucks tore screaming past us. We were rather calm, only panicking when we couldn’t find Apple in the lobby. I texted Mom, who was surprisingly calm about everything. (3) Tin and Giselle led us in prayer. After our “Amen” we were told that the fire had been contained and that it was safe to go back to our rooms. God does really quick jobs. :) (4)

This is the funny part. When we got back to the room, we shook out our bags to put our belongings back. Here is where we found out what each of us found most valuable.

Gillian: Cellphone, laptop, wallet, calculator

Apple: Cellphone, laptop, wallet, pillow

Nellie: Cellphone, laptop and charger, four wallets (she’s quite the entrepreneur), change of clothes

Kristina: Cellphone and charger, laptop and charger, wallet, calculator, change of clothes, Bible, journal, Safeguard (an antibacterial soap no less)

They all broke out in a paroxysm when they saw the Safeguard bar tumble out of my bag: the proof of my overly fastidious efforts/concerns of cleanliness. Tatak OC.

A couple of observations:

None of us brought any of our academic books. Haha! However, calculators made it to Gillian's and my Most Important Stuff List. We actually went looking for them!

Gillian actually had to be ordered to bring her laptop. I guess she’s rich enough to leave it behind. Peace Gillian!

Apple gazed at her shelf for some time trying to decide what to bring.

I managed to grab the handbag I used during a family excursion earlier yesterday and the handbag contained make-up, several packets of food, an umbrella, a novel (The Tale of Murasaki). Hehe, I looked like quite the girl scout when the others saw all this. I had to wait for the laughter to die down to explain myself.

Nellie was the calmest of us all and the most worried when we couldn’t find Apple. Dami wallet Nellie, dami talaga. Yaman mo na ah. :)


Leaders emerge during these times. Very good leaders.

Lesson learned (and I quote Miriam here):



Kapag may sunog, gayahin natin si Ate Krissy: Magdala ng Safeguard!
[When there's a fire, follow Ate Krissy: Bring Safeguard!]
PS. Just to explain how the Safeguard ended up in my bag: I turned to grab my Bible and journal on my shelf and I saw the Safeguard right next to them so I grabbed it as well. Cleanliness is indeed next to godliness. A whole new perspective on the quote, huh?
Footnotes:
(1) Someone tell me why I feel like there is something wrong in this sentence.
(2) As usual. This ought to tell you who among us four is graduating with honors. ;)
(3) Carlo also texted to ask how we were. Thanks for your prayers!
(4) Some people lost their homes last night. I don't know if there were any casualties. If you would like to help, please bring clothes/money/your help to Ilang. There are boxes at the entrance where you can place them. Please also include them in your prayers.

2 comments:

merilion said...

OC sister meet OC brother! =) but then again, in case of fire, i wouldn't exactly go inside the bathroom and fetch me a bar of soap. =P but surely i'll be having a REALLY tough time which of my books i'll be taking with me! and can't even say The Bible because i have lots! hehehe. =P but then again, i might bring the The Interlinear NASB-NIV-Greek one and the NIV Study Bible. yun kase ang pinakamahal e. hehe. =P

as for (1), (WARNING: Editor at work here! =D) there's nothing really wrong about it. it's just a bit redundant. you could rephrase it as "around 12 last night," if you're still uneasy about it.

smile =)

Krissy said...

Haha, you know what Kuya? That footnote was directed to you actually. I just knew that if you ever read my post, you'd reply to that. :)

Well, it certainly is a delight to find tat I am not an endangered specie. :) The OC race lives on...

I was stumped that night as to whether I should go dig into my boxes to find my previous journals and To Kill A Mockingbird. But my roommates were all outside telling me to be hurry up so that decided it. We'd risk our lives for books, wouldn't we?

:)