June 18, 2007

Bless Me with More Foolishness

I have a thing for pedestrian lanes. I can be wearing expensive shoes or 3inches+ stilettos but I will kill my feet (and my friends' feet) walking on until I find a pedestrian crossing. Only then will I allow myself to cross the street.

Nothing special, you say.

Wrong. It is. For here in the Philippines, being a stickler for pedestrian crossing, buckling your seatbelt, holding doors open for strangers and standing in line for public transport makes you stand out---often not in a good way.

If you're lucky enough to find a decently painted pedestrian lane, you can still die assuming our drivers know that they're supposed to slow down when they see the sign for Ped Xing. But drivers are just one half of the story. Most people don't even bother using the pedestrian crossing. Jaywalking is the norm here. Don't be surprised if you see someone darting across a major highway in what is tantamount to police chase scenes in Hollywood movies. Or if the do use the pedestrian crossing, they pay no heed to the walk/don't walk signals. They will creep over the crossing, one lane at a time effectively bringing lane by lane of vehicles to a halt even when the traffic light is green.

Try buckling your seatbelt (if there is even one) on a taxi and you'll get one of three things: 1) The driver looks at you, realizes he should be doing the same and proceeds to follow the law. 2) The driver chooses to ignore your subtle hint and drives you to your destination with out using his seatbelt and 3) your friends in the backseat laugh at you for bothering.

Another norm: Doors slamming in your face. Or elevators door closing in on you because no one pressed the hold button and people didn't let you pass. Apparently, one of the reasons we didn't make it to the RD list of most courteous/polite people in the world was because holding doors/elevators open wasn't part of our practices.

As for getting a ride on the bus or jeep in orderly fashion, that exists only in select spots of the metropolis. Most of the time, commuters are assured of the same kind of action only WWF wrestling should offer. I have to stand aside and look on in amazement at a bunch of people turned crabs with all the shoving and trampling going on.

But day in and day out, I grit my teeth and choose to do what's counter-norm. I cross only at designated places, I buckle up, I hold the door and I try to be courteous to other commuters. I make friends suffer doing the same when they're with me. The pedestrian lane thing does not exactly make them burst out in joyful praise.

Why?

Because I stubbornly and maybe foolishly believe that if I want my nation to be a better one it starts with me. It starts with me trying to model what I believe the Filipina will become in a few years. If I dream of a nation that is known for its good goverment and great people, then I have to pray to God for mercy and for grace then go out and practice the vision I have for this country.

For I hope that when my own kids have to catch a bus, they will not be trampled upon. They will not be foolish for buckling up, holding doors open or using a pedestrian lane because by then a new and better norm will prevail.

Who knows? We may top that RD list of most polite people.

6 comments:

delusion angel said...

mel phleg ka nga.

idealistic and legalistic. hehe.

it reminds me of civil behavior as mentioned in mere christianity.

i wish we could all be like that.

Anonymous said...

Hahahahahahaha... Mel Phleg ka daw! That means I'm not mel phleg! What am I?

Anyway, hmmm... I was thinking I want a bigger difference in the world, like stopping a human nuclear head using my power of persuasion or my ability to copy any super power... Yeah... That may be the reason why I'm frustrated. Hahahaha...

Hmmm... I was thinking, I totally understand why Filipinos break the rules. It's because life is really hard. I mean, traffic is not as horrible in America as it is here, kaya they're not tempted sumingit kung saan saan... Roads are masikip and inadequate here, we are over populated, most policies are inefficient... And ped xings are SO inappropriately located (HAHA). So it will take a huge amount of will and patience to stick to traffic rules and get home 2 hours later than if you would just have broken them.

I would say these should not be excuses, but they are absolutely valid. AND, I would think ung laughing at problems is how Filipinos shine in the world, asking them to obey traffic rules would be really stretching us to the limit. Hahahaha... Nobody is perfect; a people who laugh at problems AND follow rules? We will be perfect, and in this world, there is no such thing as perfect.

I'm so not optimistic about this changing the Philippines, but hey, go Kristina. :D Kung saan ka masaya, susuportahan kita, I will try to hide my laughter as you go to the far side of the street just to cross on the pedestrian lane...

Krissy said...

Valid point indeed... Thanks for the support. =) Busy na... Hahaha. Sa weekend na lang ung reply ko na matino.

Anonymous said...

I think the main reason why Filipinos are like that is because everyone is doing the same. I must admit that I used to be OC in following the rules, but UP made me realize otherwise.
Waiting for a "GO" signal at one of the intersections on the Freshie walk just isn't practical when there are no cars to begin with. Besides, you'd look stupid standing there alone while others are ignoring the sign and crossing the street. That is just one example that I can think of. I'm sure there are others. Well, I don't know how to fix this problem. I guess stricter implementation of rules would work. Give us the fear of the Light, and we will follow. hehe.

imissw said...

heya,

good for you, mate! hang on to yr convictions. people like you are those who change the world - after all, it starts wif one!

it's also a reminder for me not to get too furstrated. things here in m'sia aren't that great too. i've almost been killed by a bus when i refused to give way on a "zebra" crossing. but these days, i realise that i dun bother to wait for the pedestrian crossing lights to signal green - cuz many times, they DON'T!!!

still, its nice to know i'm not alone - i still hold open doors for people - who just walk pass you like you were the doorman. and i let the mad crowd fight into the buses before i get on - if there is any space left!

and ppl like you encourages me to carry on being like that!

Krissy said...

Thanks mate! We are each other cheerers! Hehe...