August 09, 2007

Still defiant, still for the Ped Xings!

Reading through the archives of Steve Levitt's and Stephen Dubner's blog Freakonomics, I came across this remark by Dubner on the city of Vancouver:

The biggest culture shock for me is that nobody here jaywalks. Coming from New York, I jaywalk at every opportunity. People look at me funny in Vancouver when I do this. Here, they wait patiently for the light to change, even if there are no cars. I asked several people why this was so. Some suggested that Canadians are simply obedient, whether by conditioning or temperament. Others said that jaywalking has been discouraged by the police, who sometimes ticket jaywalkers. One guy (who worked at Chapters) told me that nobody jaywalks because they are all stoned — apparently, a lot of marijuana is smoked here in Vancouver. Whatever the reason, Levitt should probably spend more time here since he hates it when people cut in line, like in Poland.


Am I stretching my naivete if I say that if it can be done in Vancouver, it can be done in Manila?

And if you haven't read Freakonomics, get/borrow a copy. It is one of the coolest books ever.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. Freakonomics rocks! hehe.
Sumo Wrestlers and Teachers cheat.
Lowering of American crime rate could be due to abortion? hmmm.
hehe.

Krissy said...

I know... Incredible fun!