August 29, 2007

It's there but not quite

I haven't been home for more than three months and that's nothing new. My lifestyle has been mobile ever since I hit high school. At the age of 13, I was hopping from one place to another in a frenzy of seminars and competitions. I can pack in ten hours or ten minutes. Airports are a breeze for me, unknown streets are exciting challenges and the adrenaline rush is quite addicting.

Don't you miss your home and your family people ask me. I do but I have learned to deal with it. Home is not a place but the people and though it can never measure up, technology keeps them ever present in my life. Wherever I am, it's the daily text messages and emails that keeps the laughter and sometimes tears between us fresh. There's nothing like hugging Mom but for now her new fascination with Harry Potter is enough to warm me as I walk to work alone under a gray sky.

No comments: